Friday, October 19, 2012

Creamy Hot Chocolate

There's nothing quite so comforting on a cold day as a big mug of hot chocolate. These last few days in central Iowa have been cold, grey, windy, and rainy, and have left me desperate for something warm. Cue hot chocolate. For the longest time, I tried just stirring some cocoa powder and sweetener into hot almond milk--and it didn't work. The cocoa dissolved a little bit, but mostly just clumped into these wet cocoa powder globs that were quite unpleasant to ingest. Ever try eating a pinch of plain dry cocoa powder? Miserable, I'm telling ya...But then I had a big "Duh!" moment and remembered that I own a blender. (A blender named Phillip. Phillip the blender. Does anybody else name their appliances?) Aaaaanyways, here's the super-simple recipe to blend your way to rich hot chocolatey bliss:

Ingredients

1 cup unsweetened almond milk

1 tablespoon Splenda (or sugar)

1 heaping tablespoon cocoa powder

1 tablespoon maple syrup (You can substitute this with more Splenda/sugar, but the maple syrup makes the taste much more rich in my opinion--like the difference between a generic packet of hot cocoa mixed in skim milk versus Ghirardelli brand hot cocoa mixed in whole milk.)

Directions

Pop everything into the blender and mix for about 30 seconds, to make sure all the cocoa clumps get dissolved. You've just made cold hot chocolate!

Pour your cold hot chocolate into a coffee mug and heat in the microwave for 60-90 seconds.

That's it, you're done! Enjoy it! Unless you want to get gourmet and top it with some vegan whipped cream and shaved dark chocolate--not a bad idea ;)

Notes

PS: I'm going to file this under both the Breakfast and Dessert categories, since I'm not expecting to make a plethora of drink recipes...Who knows, if it becomes my thing, I'll add a new category :)

No comments:

Post a Comment